Thursday, January 1, 2015

Slaying Debt in 2015? This Book is For You

Slaying the Debt Dragon: How one family conquered their money monster and found an inspired happily ever after | Cherie Lowe | Queen of Free | paying off bills | reduce debt | new years resolutions
Getting rid of our credit card debt has been a dream of mine since my husband was able to return to work a few years ago. But the details made it tricky. Getting half his former salary, combined with the expenses of Catholic school (a priority for us as well) and the unexpected expenses, and our debt, despite our efforts kept trickling up.

I'll admit it. I've been frustrated. I've been angry. I've wondered more than once, How could this happen?

But I'm relieved to learn I'm not alone. Recently I read - and re-read - an advance copy of Slaying the Debt Dragon: How One Family Conquered Their Money Monster and Found an Inspired Happily Ever After, written by Indiana author and blogger Cherie Lowe.

Here's the thing: It doesn't matter if your debt happened over a big mistake, a lot of small mistakes or misfortune. The reality is you can get out of it.

Here's what I love about Slaying the Debt Dragon: It's a book filled with baby steps, hiccups and great advice. I love that Lowe comes clean about the impact massive debt has on her family, her marriage, her faith and her sense of self. And I love that she has a success story to share.

Lowe's story is about a leap of faith and a series of small changes that over time built her family's success in paying off $127,000 in debt. I've read this twice already - once just after it arrived, looking for small tips to glean and try, and a second with new eyes after getting a small raise. What can I do differently? The answer is it starts with a plan and ends with consistency. But a little sense of humor never hurts too.


5 comments:

  1. I'm in the same position...trying to get out of debt. Outside of student loans I don't have a lot but the little I do have needs to be handled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makasha, you CAN do it! No matter where you are financially... It takes a series of small commitments to make big changes.

      Delete
  2. We've been tackling our credit card debt over the last couple months and have paid down close to $5000. We still have a lot to go but it's really nice to start to see the light at the end of the tunnel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome! We are just at the beginning of our debt journey - taking it a bit more seriously this time! :)

      Delete
  3. This sounds like a really good book. Thank you for sharing it with us. This is definitely a timely post as well.

    ReplyDelete