Sunday, November 16, 2014

The Gift of Time

Time. It's such a precious thing. It's something we count so greedily, whether wishing it away or wishing it would stop. What if we gave more of it, instead of unwrapping things under the tree? Maybe this world would be a different place.

What if...
giving the gift of time
We spent an hour having coffee with our friends?

We spent time as a family volunteering before the holidays or even during Winter Break?

We wrote a note to a teacher, a mentor, a grandparent, thanking them for their contributions in our lives?

We did a team volunteer project at work as part of our Christmas celebration?

We made Christmas cookies or baked treats and shared them with our pastor, our coaches, our small group, the homeless?

We spent an hour in the classroom instead of collecting for a teacher gift?

We ate lunch at school with our kids -- like they so often ask us to do?

We asked the volunteers for groups our kids participate in: What do you need help with? And follow through.

Many hands make light work.  - African proverb

Share your favorite ideas for giving the gift of time.

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for these words. You are so right about "time"... wishing it away or wishing we had more, but it truly is the gift of time that shares the image of Christ in this world. They see so much more than when we are running about without touching lives.
    Visiting from Fellowship Fridays.
    Caring through Christ, ~ linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been trying to be more generous with my time lately. I think sometimes it's just a matter of getting in the habit! Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2 years ago, my husband and I did not have any money for Christmas. I had just started my website and used the Thesis theme then. My husband's gift for me was installing the theme and helping me design graphics in photoshop. It took him almost the whole week. I was so blessed! I would love if someone who played clarinet or sang could give me lessons. This year I am going to make a generational video scrapbook of my husband's 98 year old Grandma, which includes sitting down with her and listening to all her stories and wisdom. The thing it is costing me is time. Years that we don't have treasure to share we can use our time and talent to give wonderful gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Time and resources can make an impossible task possible for those who are willing to help. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've recently been challenged to go off-line during the weekends and be fully present in spending time with my husband.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have wished for time to move at rapid speed during seasons of pain. So much good can come out of those seasons, though. We can't speed up time or slow it down, but we can choose what we do with!

    ReplyDelete