Monday, December 1, 2014

Christmas Gift Idea for a Girl Scout Troop: Custom Ornaments

As a Girl Scout leader, I'm always on the lookout for interesting ways to inspire the girls in our troop. I want them to believe that with time and effort, they can accomplish much. And, being that we are a church-based troop, I want them to always remember that faith is not separate from their actions.

I typically have not done Christmas gifts for my girls, though I've seen it discussed a lot on the leader Facebook groups I participate in. But I got a little divine inspiration recently from Pinterest. I stumbled on an image in my feed of an old prayer card with the Virgin Mary with Girl Scouts. The back simply stated the Girl Scout promise. I looked but didn't have much luck finding online - with the exception of finding a set of 100 in bulk. That, and if the other fourth-graders are anything like mine, no matter what the intention, the card would likely be lost in a corner someplace.

A trip to Michaels inspired me. There was a 1/2 off sale on porcelain ornaments. A little Modge-Podge, a printout of the image (scaled to about 3 inches square), and I had a unique gift that hopefully the girls will remember and keep in their homes as they grow up. All for roughly $1 per girl.

Christmas Ornament for Your Girl Scout Troop | Customized with an image from an old prayer card of the Virgin Mary and Girl Scouts

3 comments:

  1. That is a really cute gift for the girls. I have never seen this image before. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How special! Thanks for linking up with us over at the #homematters linky party! We hope to see you again next Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter received that card from the Bishop when she received her religious award.

    ReplyDelete