Monday, November 17, 2014

Healthy Pumpkin Bread That Tastes Great!

Pumpkin bread may be my seasonal downfall. I love everything about it: the pumpkin taste, the sweetness...
Healthy pumpkin bread that tastes great. | Swap sugar with Splenda for diabetics. | Swap flax for shortening. | Mom Hats & More

But not the calories. Or what it does to my blood sugar level. Not to mention the extra fat that makes it taste soooo good.

Recently, my sister gave me a cooking tip that I'm sure to incorporate in my recipes. I tried it with this pumpkin bread recipe from an old church cookbook, and it was a success. Instead of shortening (yes, it actually called for shortening, though I always used butter), swap 1-to-3 with ground flax seed. Sounds strange, and my sister told me it might give a slightly nutty hint, but with pumpkin bread I was ready to try it.

Don't know where to get ground flax? It's pretty mainstream, even Wal-Mart carries it in the baking area these days.

So, here is my diabetic-friendly, low-sugar pumpkin, lower-fat pumpkin bread recipe that I hope will please your family too.

Healthy Pumpkin Bread that Tastes Great

makes one loaf
1 5/8 cup flour
1 tsp. soda
3/4 tsp. salt
1 1/3 c. Splenda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cloves
1 cup ground flax seeds
2 eggs
1 c. canned pumpkin
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup walnuts

Preheat oven to 350. Spray 9x5 pan.

Stir together dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients until mixed. Fold in nuts.

Bake at 350 for one hour.


4 comments:

  1. Yum, definitely going to give this a try, thanks for linking at Good Morning Mondays. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds so good! Thanks for sharing this recipe with us @ Wildcrafting Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So what did you swap the flax with? I am looking for a good recipe to convert to GF so I'm not concerned about the flax - but wondering if that would make it overly dry?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So what did you swap the flax with? I am looking for a good recipe to convert to GF so I'm not concerned about the flax - but wondering if that would make it overly dry?

    ReplyDelete